NEW! 1953 Paramount Roadster
The Paramount Roadster was made between 1950 and 1956, initially in Swadlingcote, moving shortly after to Melbourne, again in Derbyshire, and then to Leighton Buzzard. Founded by WA Hudson and S Underwood from Derbyshire, the Paramount had an aluminium over wood frame body with BMW like grille and was mounted on a separate tubular steel chassis with front transverse and rear semi elliptical leaf springs. It was originally intended to have an Alvis engine and suspension but to reduce cost the production versions used Ford 10 components including the 1172 cc side valve engines. Despite being fitted with twin SU carburettors, it returned poor performance, but was well built and equipped and was listed in both 2 and 4 seat versions. In 1953, the company was bought by Camden Motors and production moved to Leighton Buzzard. The Ford Consul 1,508 cc engine became an option in a longer chassis as also was a Wade or Shorrocks supercharger. The price became an uncompetitive £1009 and production ceased in 1956 after about 70 cars had been made. After the end of car production the remaining chassis were sold off and several were fitted with Rochdale glass fibre bodies. This resin model is a joint project between Barry Smith's BTS Mouldings and David Wright's Transport Modelling Books. It records the sweeping curves of the almost plump bodywork, and is fully finished with photo-etched windscreen, grille and air vents, together with chrome plated resin finishers along the sills, rear wheel arches, and bumpers. A detailed interior, with central dash console, finishes the detail nicely.